Our Core Beliefs and Doctrinal Statement
I. Our Salvation
A. Making sure you are a Christian
1. What does it mean to be born again? - John 3:4-18 "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" 5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." 9"How can this be?" Nicodemus asked. 10"You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man. 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.”
2. What must I do to be saved? - Acts 16:30 What must I do to be saved?" 31They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
3. What is a profession of faith? - Romans 107-11 But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
4. Can I be sure I am saved? - 1 John 1:8-10 8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
5. Does membership in a church save me? - Ephesians 2:8-9 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9not by works, so that no one can boast.
B. The symbols of salvation
1. Water baptism
a. Jesus our example – Matthew 3:13-15 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" 15Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented.
b. A sign of repentance – Matthew 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
c. A sign of conversion – Acts 2:37-41 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" 38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off--for all whom the Lord our God will call." 40With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
d. A part of the great commission – Matthew 28:16-20 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
e. A sign of identification with Christ’s death and resurrection – Romans 6:1-4 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
f. A sign of obedience – Acts 8:36-38 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" 38And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.
a. Sharing of the bread and wine, symbols of Christ’s body and blood.
b. Instructions concerning communion – 1 Corinthians 11:23-33 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. 27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. 32When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.
*Be sensitive to other members
*Remember Christ’s love and sacrifice for your salvation
*Should be received with a pure heart and self examination
*Consequences of neglect
*Frequency of communion
II. Our Statements
A. Our purpose statement: Why we exist.
“Lifting people through the power of the cross”
To bring people to Jesus and membership in His family, develop them to Christ-like maturity, and equip them for their ministry in church and life mission in the world, in order to magnify God’s name.
B. Our Mission statement: What we want to accomplish.
C. Our Vision statement: How we will accomplish our Mission.
Being A “G.R.E.A.T.” Church
Growing by evangelizing our community and world through outreach and mission endeavors. (Acts1:8)
Reproducing through discipleship, fellowship and prayer (2 Timothy 2:2; Acts 2:44-47)
Equipping and assembling believers for ministry and service (Ephesians 4:11-13)
Allowing for dynamic worship and the free moving of God’s Spirit. (Psalm 95:6-7)
Teaching and preaching God’s Word. (Matthew 28:19-20)
The church is the Body of Christ – the habitation of God through the Spirit, with divine appointments for the fulfillment of the great commission. Each believer, born of the Spirit, is an integral part of the Church. (Ephesians 1:22-23, 2:22, Romans 12:4-5)
Since God’s purpose concerning man is to be worshiped by man, to build a body of believers in the image of His Son, and to seek and to save the lost, the priority reason for being of New Life Worship Center is to be a “G.R.E.A.T.” church.
D. Our Faith/Doctrine statement: What we believe.
(Click above to view all 16 statements)
E. Our Values system: What we practice.
1. God wants me to be a member of his family – Ephesians 2:19 Consequently; you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household,
2. God wants me to be a model of His character – 1 Timothy 4:12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
3. God wants me to be a minister of His grace – 1 Peter 4:10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
4. God wants me to be a messenger of His love – 2 Corinthians 5:19-20 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.
5. God wants me to be a magnifier of His name – Psalm 57:9 I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples.
6. God wants me to be a contributor to His kingdom – Malachi 3:10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.
III. Our Strategy
A. Who we are trying to reach
1. The sick and dying
2. Cross cultural
3. All ages
B. Our Life development process helps you grow
1. Regular services
2. Bible Studies / Life Connections
3. Group involvement
C. Becoming a member of the local body
a. From lone ranger to team player – 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. 7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
b. It places them under spiritual protection and Godly leaders – Hebrews 13:7
Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.
c. It gives accountability they need to grow – Ephesians 5:21
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
d. It gives them the privilege of making corporate decisions.